Sunday, 23 January 2011

5 minute cake in a cup















Good for: Bribery. The promise of a rice cake no longer cuts it? This super-fast pudding might just do the trick.
Can something become a staple within the space of a couple of weeks? If so this 5 minute cake in a cup has become just that. I was sent it by a reader (thanks Jo Humphries) via Facebook, where it is liked by 182,688 people. It takes minutes to prepare and just 60 seconds to cook. As it says on the Facebook page "Why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of day or night."
I've tried several variations (I can't work out how to do a self-saucing one without it exploding in the microwave) and this is the best I've come up with so far. There's a lot of sugar in it so I can't pretend it's healthy, but as an occasional treat I don't think it's too naughty.
I'm going to continue working away at the recipe to see if I can improve on it (I know, selfless), but in the meantime I don't want to keep it to myself, so here it is. And if you hit on a good variant, let me know and I'll post it here. If you don't have a microwave then this probably won't work, but we have another fantastic recipe for chocolate fudge pudding which takes longer but you can do it in the oven, it's self-saucing (which means there's a big gooey load of chocolate in the middle), and there's no risk of explosion.
Five minute chocolate cake in a cup
Serves:
2 adults - or one adult and 2 kids
Start to finish: um, five minutes
4 tablespoons self raising flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil (I use sunflower, melted butter would probably be nicer but it would take too long and the idea of this recipe is that it is quick)
Chocolate chips (or just smash up a bar of chocolate)
A small splash of vanilla extract
2 tea cups to cook the cake in
Mix dry ingredients together. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips and vanilla extract, and mix again. Divide mixture between the two teacups.
Put your teacup in the microwave and cook for 60 seconds (for one teacup, a bit more for two) at 1000 watts (high). Allow to cool a little and serve with natural yoghurt (an attempt at being healthy) or ice cream.
The original recipe is below. The quantities are enormous so I've halved them. Take a look.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/5-MINUTE-CHOCOLATE-MUG-CAKE/85427078942

12 comments:

  1. So pleased I don't have a microwave, my hips have been saved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the 2 teacups measure of? Is there an ingredient mistakenly missed off? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. The two teacups are what you serve the cake in. I've changed it to make it clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I've been shopping for all the ingredients earlier today. Couldn't get vanilla essence, so bought orange Should taste lovely with dark chocolate chips, and using walnut oil too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walnut and orange? What a great combo. Do let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely delicious, we ate them, so then made another batch as before but also stirred in 3teaspoons of dark rum as they were for my son's 32nd birthday. Yummy. Just one thing...... it was groundnut oil not walnut, my mistake...... but I'll try it next time with walnut oil because it should be a fantastic flavour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sound really good and yummy.
    Regards
    olga.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm just made this for my kids they love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made these yesterday with chocolate orange - wonderful! Loved by adults and children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw man, I tried this out last night because I got some new ramekins and I forgot to put the sugar in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Steve! I'm guessing it tasted disgusting? Try again, it's worth it!

      Delete
  11. Just might have to give this one a try. Decided to feature this in my blog today here: http://www.goedekers.com/blog/5-desserts-can-make-microwave-video-instructions/.

    Much love. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner